What is the current state of the global software industry?
As of 2020, the top 10 software companies in the world are contributing to the exponential growth of the global software industry. What is software? Software is the combination of computer processes, such as application software and operating systems, designed to work with hardware to provide a product of benefit to the end user. This helps you better manage, track and perform tasks and calculate the capabilities of all types of computers. Currently, the global software industry is worth $456 billion. Microsoft is the world's largest computer software company with annual revenue of $118.2 billion and a current market cap of $946.5 billion.
This fact sheet is intended to rank the world's top software companies by revenue and market capitalization, but the ultimate goal is to assist business professionals, investors, and those generally interested in gaining insight into the global software industry, including:
- Find out which software companies are in the top 10 worldwide by revenue?
- Find the world's largest software companies by market capitalization.
- How much is the software industry worth?
- Complete list of top software developers in USA, Singapore, Bangalore, Germany, France and more.
- Software industry statistics and trends you should know about.
BizVibe is already helping connect the world's leading software developers. Stay connected and follow the latest news and insights from these companies.
Try BizVibe for free
Software Industry Statistics
- The global software industry is worth $456 billion.
- Microsoft has more than 80% of the PC market share.
- Salesforce is the largest public SaaS company.
- 73% of organizations say that by 2021 nearly all of their applications will be SaaS.
- Microsoft is the largest SaaS provider in the world with an 18% market share.
- 41% of workloads are currently in the public cloud.
Top 10 Software Companies by Global Revenue in 2020
Who are the top 10 software companies by global revenue in 2020? Below is a list of the world's largest software companies in billions of dollars in revenue.
Income (Brazilian dollars)
Market Value (Brazilian Dollar)
|8||Dasso Tower Systems||4.1||39.2||France|
Number one on the list of the world's top 10 software companies for 2020 is Microsoft, an increasingly popular multinational technology company headquartered in the United States. Also known as Microsoft Corporation, the brand is considered a computer software company best known for the development, production, licensing, and sale of the Windows operating system, as well as computer software, consumer electronics, personal computers, and related services.
Founded by Bill Gates and Paul Allen in 1975, Microsoft is currently headquartered in Redmond, Washington, USA. Microsoft's annual revenue exceeds US$118.2 billion, making Microsoft the world's largest software company by revenue and market value. Additionally, around April 2019, Microsoft announced that it had reached a $1 trillion market capitalization, becoming the third U.S. company to do so.
- Year Established: 1975
- Microsoft Headquarters: Redmond, Washington, Eastern Europe. Well.
- Microsoft Market Cap: $5 billion
- Microsoft revenue: $2 billion
- Number of Microsoft employees: 151,163
Microsoft software products
- windows operating system
- Microsoft Office
- eye studio
Behind Microsoft is Oracle Corporation, an American multinational information technology company headquartered in Redwood Shores, California. Known for selling its own brand of computerized database management systems, the company specializes in the tools needed for enterprise resource planning (ERP) software, human capital management (HCM) software, customer relationship management (CRM) and supply chain management (SCM) . software).
Oracle's 2019 revenue is US$39.6 billion, and its current market value is US$186.3 billion, ranking secondtwoThe world's largest software company after Microsoft.
- Year established: 1977
- Oracle Central Site: Redwood City, California, EE. Well.
- Oracle Market Cap: $186.3 billion
- Oracle revenue: $39.6 billion
- Oracle headcount: 136,000
Oracle software products
- Oracle application
- Oracle Database
- Oracle Cloud
- company manager
- Fusion Middleware
SAP is one of two non-U.S.-based companies on the 2020 list of the largest software companies. SAP is a European multinational software company that produces business software for business operations and customer relationship management. Founded in 1972, making it one of the oldest software companies on this list, SAP is currently headquartered in Walldorf, Baden-Württemberg, Germany.
The company is primarily known for its enterprise resource planning (ERP) software. In fiscal year 2019, SAP's annual revenue was US$29.1 billion, ranking thirdI+DThe world's largest software company by revenue. SAP also currently has a market cap of $134.9 billion.
- Year established: 1972
- SAP Center Sede: Walldorf, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
- SAP Market Cap: $134.9 billion
- SAP revenue: $29.1 billion
- Number of SAP employees: 100,330
SAP software products
- You know/4HANA
- SAP CRM (Customer Relationship Management)
- SAP ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning)
- SAP PLM (Product Lifecycle Management)
- SAP SCM (Supply Chain Management)
- SAP SRM (Supplier Relationship Management)
Where is Salesforce among the top software companies? Rank 4tPublicly traded Salesforce, one of the world's leading software companies, is an American cloud software company headquartered in San Francisco, California. Salesforce is known for offering widely used CRM software to complement a full suite of business applications focused on customer service, marketing automation, analytics, and application development.
In 2019, Salesforce had annual revenue of $13.3 billion and a current market cap of $120.9 billion.
- Year Established: 1999
- Salesforce Headquarters: San Francisco, CA, USA
- Salesforce Market Cap: $120.9 billion
- Salesforce revenue: $13.3 billion
- Number of Salesforce employees: 49,000
Salesforce Software Products
- Sales cloud
- service cloud
- marketing cloud
- business cloud
- community cloud
Category 5tBizVibe's list of the world's top 10 software companies by revenue includes American multinational computer software company Adobe. Adobe offers software such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, and After Effects through subscriptions, products, services, and support. Founded in 1982, the company is currently headquartered in San Jose, where 40 percent of its employees work. Adobe had annual revenue of $9.5 billion last year and a market cap of $132 billion.
Adobe is best known for its products including the Adobe Flash web software ecosystem, Photoshop image editing software, Adobe Illustrator vector graphics editor, Acrobat Reader, Portable Document Format (PDF) and the Adobe Creative Suite and its successor, Adobe e Creative Cloud.
- Year Established: 1982
- Adobe Inc. Headquarters: San Jose, CA, USA
- Adobe Inc. Market cap: $132 billion
- Adobe Inc. Revenue: $9.5 billion
- Adobe Inc. Number of employees: 22,635
Adobe software products
- Adobe Creative Pack
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
- Adobe After Effects
- Adobe Dreamweaver
- Adobe Illustratorze
- Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Document Cloud
Known for its cloud computing and visualization software products and services, VMware is an American software company whose desktop software runs on all major operating systems, including Microsoft Windows, macOS, and Linux. Dell Technologies currently holds a majority stake in the company.
VMware had annual revenue of $9 billion last year and a current market cap of $77.2 billion, making it one of the largest software companies among the top 10 software companies in the world by revenue and market cap.
- Year Established: 1998
- VMware Headquarters: Palo Alto, California, USA. Well.
- VMware Market Cap: $77.2 billion
- VMware revenue: $9 billion
- VMware headcount: 24,200
VMware software products
- VMware vSphere
- VMware ESXi
- VMware Fusion
- replicator vmware
- VMware ThinApp
- VMware vision
- Infrastructure VMware
Another US company and 7tRanked among the top 10 software companies in the world, Intuit sells financial, accounting and tax software and related services to small businesses, accountants and individuals. One of Intuit's most popular and recognized products, TurboTax is a software package for preparing tax returns.
Last year, Intuit had annual revenue of $6.4 billion and a current market cap of $66.8 billion, making it one of the world's largest software companies by revenue and market cap.
- Year Established: 1983
- Intuit Headquarters: Palo Alto, California, USA
- Intuit Market Cap: $66.8 billion
- Intuit revenue: $6.4 billion
- Intuitive number of employees: 9,400
Intuitive Software Products
- personal finance
- accounting procedures
- tax software
- Turbo Wave Datatek
8tFrench software company Dassault Systèmes ranks among the top 10 software companies in the world by revenue, according to BizVibe. Dassault Systèmes, the first French company on the list and one of two software companies outside the US, is known for developing 3D design software, 3D digital models and product lifecycle management (PLM) software.
Dassault Systèmes had annual revenue of $4.1 billion last year and a current market capitalization of $39.2 billion, making it one of the world's leading software companies by revenue and one of the world's largest by market capitalization.
- Year established: 1981
- Dassault Systèmes Sede: Velizy-Villacoublay, France
- Dassault Systèmes Market Cap: $39.2 trillion
- Dassault Systèmes revenue: $4.1 billion
- Number of Dassault Systèmes employees: 16,055
Dassault Systèmes software products
- 3D design software
- 3D Digital Modeling and Product Lifecycle Management (PLM)
ServiceNow is an American cloud computing company and one of the world's leading software companies by revenue, with revenue of $2.6 billion last year and a current market cap of $42.9 billion; location 9tincome and 8tThe world's largest software companies by market capitalization. Founded in 2003, ServiceNow currently serves more than 5,400 clients worldwide.
- Established: 2003
- ServiceNow Headquarters: Santa Clara, CA, USA
- ServiceNow Market Cap: $42.9 billion
- ServiceNow revenue: $2.6 billion
- Number of ServiceNow employees: 8666
service software now
- SaaS service
- IT service management
Workday, Inc. is an American provider of on-demand (cloud) software for financial and human capital management, ranked among the top ten software companies in the world. Workday, consistently voted a "best company to work for," has a business model based on selling subscriptions rather than selling software as a standalone product.
Founded in 2005, Workday has annual revenue of $2.8 billion and a current market cap of
- Established: 2005
- Workday Headquarters: Pleasanton, California, USA. Well.
- Enterprise capital: $41.7 billion
- Workday earnings: $2.8 billion
- Number of employees per working day: 10,500
Below is the list of top 10 software companies in the world by revenue in 2020 according to BizVibe. These companies are changing the way technology innovation is done in various industries around the world.
Get in touch with a top BizVibe software developer today.
Top Software Companies Ranked by Market Cap
Here are the top 10 software companies in the world by market capitalization.
Market Value (Brazilian Dollar)
|10||Dasso Tower Systems||39.2||France|
- Microsoft is also the world's largest software company by market capitalization.
- Oracle, SAP, Adobe, and Salesforce are worth more than $100 billion.
The Future of the Software Industry
What is the future of the software industry? 41% of workloads are already in the public cloud. SaaS is the future of the software industry as companies use the cloud to deliver services faster and more efficiently. Microsoft currently leads the major software producers with an 18% market share. In the future, new technologies are expected to occupy a dominant position, and the top ten software companies are expected to continue to innovate in the software industry.
Connect to BizVibe
Label:Introduction to Information Industry software