Red light on your Rheem water heater flashing at different rates indicates multiple heating element failures. If the red light on the heater flashes 1 time, this is normal operation and there is nothing essential to do. But the red light that flashes more than once including 2/4/5/7/8/9 indicates that something is wrong with the water heater and needs your attention.
Serious faults, defined by a flashing red light, include low thermopile voltage, high temperature shutdown, temperature sensor failure, gas control valve failure, bad pilot light signal, and chamber sensor failure.
Follow the article below for a complete guide on how to fix each error effectively.
table of contents
- Rheem water heater flashing red light [7 flashes resolved]
- What does the flashing red light on the Rheem water heater mean?
- 1. Rheem water heater red light flashes 1 time [Normal operation]
- 2. Rheem water heater red light flashes 2 times [low thermopile voltage]
- 3. Rheem water heater red light flashes 4 times [High temperature shutdown]
- 4. Rheem water heater red light flashes 5 times [Temperature sensor error]
- 5. Rheem water heater red light flashes 7 times [Gas control or valve error]
- 6. The red light on the Rheem water heater flashes 8 times [incorrect pilot light signal]
- 7. Rheem water heater red light flashes 9 times [camera sensor error]
- Common questions:
- How do you know you need a new water heater?
- Can a leaking water heater be fixed?
Rheem water heater flashing red light [7 flashes resolved]
Before moving on to the detailed parts, let's learn why your Rheem water heater is flashing red and what its true meaning is.
To use:you can also readHow to Fix Rheem Water Heater 8 Flashes Then 1.
What does the flashing red light on the Rheem water heater mean?
Rheem water heaters are among the best known brands in the HVAC industry for being more reliable and longer lasting. But most often, various malfunctions occur during operation. Flashing red light is the most common phenomenon among them.
A flashing red light on the Rheem water heater indicates that the heater has entered a lockout condition that requires your special attention. Sometimes it also indicates that the device is working fine and other times it says that something is wrong. The heater may stop working until you correct the fault.
However, the exact meaning of the error is primarily determined by the number of blinks. Each blink means different heater failures.
5 Mediocre Athletes Who Succeeded...
1. Rheem water heater red light flashes 1 time [Normal operation]
A red flash on the Rheem water heater indicates normal system operation.This means that the heating is in very good condition and the entire heating system works very well. The control knob is in the pilot position and the light stays on.
There is nothing that requires your attention or troubleshooting. Just move to the temperature knob and set the desired temperature.
2. Rheem water heater red light flashes 2 times [low thermopile voltage]
2 flashes on Rheem water heateris the water heater thermopile low voltage fault indicator.The thermopile is an essential element of many thermocouple systems.
Creates a small electrical voltage that is needed to continue ignition. The plate is powered by this small current and starts to heat the water.
But when the thermopile voltage drops, the pilot flame goes out and the gas valve closes, cutting off the gas supply.
The controller system recognizes this as an error and flashes the red light twice. Now let’s get to know the main reasons for low thermopile voltage below:
- Improper thermopile connection to blended gas control
- Damaged thermopile wiring
- faulty connections
- faulty thermopile
- First check the thermopile connector to see that it is properly connected to the gas control valve.
- Also check the connectors for physical damage. It must not come loose and be fully seated. Replace defective plug.
- Look for signs of wear or corrosion in the wiring. Replace damaged cables.
- Now test the thermopile with a multimeter. To do this, disconnect the thermopile by moving it around a little.
- A good thermopile will read between 650 and 850 millivolts.
- If you find the value below 400, please check if the item is defective.
- Replace the faulty thermopile, then the heater will extinguish the 2 flashes.
3. Rheem water heater red light flashes 4 times [High temperature shutdown]
Rheem 4 flash water heatermeans the water heater turns off when the temperature is too high.This error tells you that the water temperature is above 180 degrees Fahrenheit and the heater is shutting down.
This is where the high limit switch is activated because the water temperature rises to an unsafe level, putting the heater in high temperature mode. The main reasons why the Rheem water heater flashes red about 4 times are:
- a faulty thermostat
- damaged electrical wiring
- A bad heating element
- Malfunction of the gas control valve.
- clogged relief valve
- Defective high limit switch
- Since a faulty thermostat is one of the main reasons for this, check to see if it is stuck or has stopped working. Thermostat errors result in unsafe water temperature.Replace faulty thermostat.
- Then you need to reset the circuits. Simply remove the two wire connectors on the panel. Wait 10-20 seconds and reconnect the cable connectors.
- Now examine the two heating elements at the top and bottom of the tank. Test the continuity of the elements. Replace faulty heating element.
- Check the reset button on the upper thermostat. If it is burned out or worn out, the entire upper thermostat will be replaced.
- Check the pressure relief valve and remove any debris that is clogged in it.
- Replace faulty gas control valve.
- Also check the valve fuel line. If necessary, replace the fuel line.
- If the red light continues to flash 4 times, check the thermocouple now. First clean the element. If that doesn't work, replace the faulty thermocouple.
4. Rheem water heater red light flashes 5 times [Temperature sensor error]
5 flashes on the red light on the Rheem water heater indicate that the temperature sensor has failed.The temperature sensor is a necessary element in the water heater, which serves to manipulate the gas valve through a small electric current. Signals the gas valve whether the valve should release or stop the gas supply.
But due to the failure of this sensor, the water temperature does not reach the set temperature or sometimes rises to an unsafe level, which is very dangerous. In addition to all this, it also leads to the failure of the gas control valve. Debris buildup on the sensor or damaged wiring are the main causes of temperature sensor failure.Here are the steps you need to follow to clear the error:
- First reset the gas control valve. Turn the knob to the off position.
- Wait about 5-10 seconds. After that time, turn the knob to the “ON” position. This resets the gas valve.
- If the error persists, test the temperature sensor with a multimeter.
- Take the resistance value of the sensor. Measure the water temperature.
- Now look at the manufacturer's table and compare the resistance at different temperatures with the readings.
- If the resistance value is correct, check if the gas control valve is faulty.
- Replace faulty gas control valve.
- If the reading is incorrect, replace the dead temperature sensor.
5. Rheem water heater red light flashes 7 times [Gas control or valve error]
The red light on the Rheem water heater will flash 7 timesindicates failure in heater gas control valve. The gas control valve on a water heater is used to regulate the flow of gas.
Due to valve failure, not enough fuel is supplied to the heater. There are some main reasons for gas valve failures, for example:
- obstructed ventilation
- Clogged or damaged burner parts
- TRD locked
- a faulty thermocouple
- A faulty gas valve
To fix water heater 7 flashes, follow the guide below:
- First reset the gas valve on the Rheem water heater. Turn the pilot knob to the "OFF" position.
- Wait about 5 minutes, then turn the control knob to the "on" position.
- Now examine the vent pipes and remove any dirt trapped there. Use a vacuum hose to suck out all the dirt.
- Then locate the thermal trigger and remove it from the box.
- Look here for broken or cracked TRD glass jars. Replace the broken bottle.
- Then clean the burner assembly and its parts from limescale deposits and dirt.
- Clean the combustion chamber with compressed air.
- Also, use compressed air to vacuum any dirt or debris out of the air intake grille.
- Now go to the thermocouple and test it electrically. If the voltage reading is less than 20 millivolts, check the thermocouple for bad. substitute him
- If the red light continues to flash 7 times, a faulty gas valve is to blame. Replace the faulty gas valve on your Rheem water heater.
6. The red light on the Rheem water heater flashes 8 times [incorrect pilot light signal]
If the red light on your Rheem water heater is flashing 8 times, there is definitely a problem with a bad pilot signal in the heating system. The error states that the pilot valve is stuck open, preventing the heater from shutting down. A faulty gas control valve is one of the main causes of this malfunction. This is where the pilot button can get stuck in one position and hence this flashing error.
- The first step is to reset the gas control valve.
- If reset is unsuccessful, replace faulty gas control valve.
- Get in touch with a certified plumber to perform the task accurately.
- Then relight the pilot light as directed in the heater manuals.
7. Rheem water heater red light flashes 9 times [camera sensor error]
9 flashes on Rheem water heater red lightindicates a heater chamber sensor error.The camera's sensor is an important safety feature that converts the heat from an ignited flame into a small electrical current.
The current acts as a switch to open the gas valve and start fuel delivery. Response factors for the 9 error blinks include:
- Dirt accumulated in the sensor body
- bad resistance
- Defective camera sensor
- Damaged gas control valve
- Fuel vapor sensor malfunction
- First locate the burner assembly flame sensor.
- Remove the sensor and clean the dirt adhered to the sensor body. Use 400-grit sandpaper to clean the sensor surface.
- After cleaning, test the camera sensor. Take a multimeter and measure the sensor voltage.
- Also measure the water temperature.
- Take the heater manufacturer's table and compare the resistance at different temperatures.
- If the resistance is good, check if the gas control valve is faulty. Replace faulty valve.
- However, if the resistance changes, replace the faulty cam sensor.
- Now move through the heater's FVS as it may be in blocking mode.
- To fix this, reset the FVS sensor first.
- Then take the resistance value from the FVS and it should be between 11k ohms and 45k ohms.
- If not, replace the FVS sensor.
How do you know you need a new water heater?
The most common signs that you need a new water heater are rusty water coming out of the faucet, strange noises, no hot water, an overheated water heater, water leaks, and more.
Can a leaking water heater be fixed?
Yes, anyway!! A leaking water heater can be easily fixed. You need to fix the drain and pressure relief valve. Also examine each heating element and find the source of the leak.
Hopefully, by the end of the guide, you will be aware of red flashing codes on your Rheem water heater. Since each code represents a specific problem, you should understand the meaning of the status codes before proceeding with troubleshooting.
This is the stage where our guide above will help you a lot to get the issue and solution with clear description. If you still have doubts, feel free to ask us in the comments. We will contact you as soon as possible.
Seven flashes every three seconds indicates that the Gas Control Valve has failed. Turn the gas control knob OFF, turn the gas supply valve OFF, and click on "Need More Help" below.What is the code 7 on a Rheem water heater? ›
Rheem furnace error code e7
This error code indicates that there is an open circuit or short circuit to the ground. An open circuit is when there is a break in the wires, while a short circuit is when two wires touch each other. If you get this error code, you need to check the wiring.
The red status light will blink once every 3 seconds when the water heater is operating normally. Once the red status light is blinking, release the knob. Set the temperature to the desired setting. We recommend a maximum temperature setting of HOT (120°F) to reduce the risk of scalding.Why is the light blinking on my Rheem hot water tank? ›
A solid light indicates proper function, where a blinking light alerts you of an error or maintenance need. - flashing slowly: Low salt level.How do you clear a Rheem error code? ›
TO CLEAR A HARD LOCKOUT ERROR CODE PRESS THE POWER BUTTON. If you are unable to fix your Rheem error code you should call your tankless installer, a tankless professional, or possibly Rheem directly to address your issue. An alternative option for rectifying errors is to reboot your Rheem tankless.What are the codes for Rheem water heater? ›
|Error Code||Fault Condition||Action|
|05||Filter not cleared||BOOK SERVICE CALL WITH RHEEM SERVICE PH: 13 10 31|
|14||Thermo Switch Off (150°C)|
Blocked or cracked heat exchanger, blocked vent, low gas pressure, etc. 7 flashes. Low flame error. Low gas pressure, faulty flame sensor, dirty flame sensor, etc.Why is the red light blinking on my Rheem furnace? ›
Flashing lights could indicate that your thermostat is not sending a signal to the furnace. This problem can be caused by an issue with the wires in your walls, or it might just be that there is a loose wire connection somewhere.Should water heater light be blinking? ›
A blinking light on your water heater is an error message. It's also common to see these after you plug it back in when you're opening a shore house for the season. If there's no problem, the blinking light will become steady. If it changes color or keeps going on and off, then there's a problem.How long does it take for a Rheem water heater to heat up? ›
An average 40-gallon heater will only take about 30 to 40 minutes to provide heat water, while you can expect hot water from a larger tank (80-gallons) in approximately 60 to 70 minutes. Electric hot water tanks, on the other hand, will take a little longer.
Eight flashes every three seconds means the gas control knob has been turned off but the thermopile continued to produce millivolts. This condition can occur if the thermopile does not cool down as quickly as expected when the unit is shut off.Why is my water heater status light blinking 5 times? ›
Five flashes every three seconds indicates an internal sensor failure. Turn the gas control knob OFF, turn the gas supply valve OFF, and click on "Need More Help" below.What does it mean when the heater is blinking? ›
– Ignition Failure or Fault: An error with the gas, ignition failure, or flame can cause the red light to start blinking. This could be an indication that your flame sensor is dirty, and/or could also mean there is a problem with the gas valve or ignitors.Why is my heater flashing? ›
Flashing lights could indicate that your thermostat is not sending a signal to the furnace. This problem can be caused by an issue with the wires in your walls, or it might just be that there is a loose wire connection somewhere.Should my water heater be blinking? ›
A blinking light on your water heater is an error message. It's also common to see these after you plug it back in when you're opening a shore house for the season. If there's no problem, the blinking light will become steady. If it changes color or keeps going on and off, then there's a problem.What does heat flashing mean? ›
A hot flash is the sudden feeling of warmth in the upper body, which is usually most intense over the face, neck and chest. Your skin might redden, as if you're blushing. A hot flash can also cause sweating. If you lose too much body heat, you might feel chilled afterward.